Created and sustained by grants from Lilly Endowment Inc., the Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion seeks to strengthen and enhance education in North American theological schools, colleges and universities. The Center helps build enabling environments for good teaching and learning by:
- Initiating studies, workshops and conferences on teaching and learning in theology and religion. These will provide opportunities for faculty members to discuss teaching and learning in a variety of contexts and to share teaching resources.
- Supporting the initiatives of faculty members and institutions that enhance the teaching of theology and religion.
- Encouraging reflection by faculty members within various disciplines of theology and religion on the special contribution of each discipline to the study of theology and religion.
- Enabling those preparing to become teachers of religion and theology to reflect upon, clarify and strengthen their sense of vocation.
- Helping faculty members and institutions to keep abreast of appropriate technology that will enhance teaching and learning.
In pursuing these goals, the Wabash Center will host programs at Wabash College, plan and support projects elsewhere, and grant funds to faculty members and institutions to support initiatives that promise to improve teaching and learning.