Wabash Center Work with Doctoral Programs
The Wabash Center’s “Preparing Future Faculty” program works with doctoral programs in religious and theological studies, to support efforts to form doctoral students for teaching as part of their preparation for a successful academic career.
- Teaching Seminars for Doctoral Students – an on-going series of teaching workshops to be held in cities that have a significant concentration of doctoral students enrolled in graduate programs.
- Workshops for ASTI, FTE, and HTI Doctoral Fellows – weekend workshops that foster reflection on the vocation and practices of teaching, especially on issues that pertain to the first years of a teaching career. The workshops also attend to the professional challenges and possibilities for faculty of color. Participation is by invitation from the partnering institutions.
- Bi-Annual Conferences for Directors of Doctoral Programs – all doctoral programs in religious and theological studies are invited, please contact us for information about the next gathering.
- Preparing Future Faculty Grants (2017-2019) – projects up to $50,000 that enhance the preparation of doctoral students for teaching. (Deadline for proposals: March 15, 2017)
- Graduate Program Teaching Initiative (2011-2016) – providing funds and consultants to gather recent graduates to give feedback on the doctoral program’s teaching preparation efforts.
- Academic Guilds – the Wabash Center hosts sessions designed for doctoral students at academic conferences.
Doctoral education has traditionally focused on developing research and writing skills, and teaching has been considered an inevitable by-product of effective scholarship. Thus, most graduates learned how to teach when they began their first job.Yet many graduates will find academic appointments where good teaching and student learning are central to the institutional mission. Recognizing this, and pressured by the tighter job market, doctoral programs are increasingly seeking ways to form their students for teaching as part of their preparation for a successful academic career. The Wabash Center’s “Preparing Future Faculty” program seeks to address these challenges.
Eligibility: Ph.D or Th.D programs in religious or theological studies in the U.S. and Canada
Questions or More Information:
Mary T. Stimming, PhD