Workshop for Early Career Theological School Faculty
This workshop invites those in their first years of teaching in theological schools to join a community of generosity and hospitality that responds to early career professional and vocational development. Together they will:
- Wrestle with generative questions about teaching and learning
- Learn how to live a life of the mind without losing one’s mind
- Discover ways to engage institutional and cultural realities that are liberative and life-giving
- Imagine teaching that constructively engages and transforms the larger world through creative thinking and risk-taking
The workshop will gather 14 faculty members for a week in two successive summers at Wabash College, and a weekend winter retreat in a warm location. There will be a balance of plenaries, small group discussions, workshops, social time, and opportunities for relaxation, exercise, laughter, and lots of good food and drink.
Participants will join a collaborative cohort in which they will:
- Reflect critically on processes of learning that foster intellectual curiosity
- Discover ways to sustain practices of teaching and learning with passion
- Understand and navigate institutional cultures
- Explore deepest convictions about teaching and learning in theological schools
Honorarium and Fellowship
Participants will receive an honorarium of $3400 for full participation in the three workshop sessions, plus local expenses and travel. In addition, participants are eligible to apply for a $5000 workshop fellowship for work on a teaching project during the following academic year (2019-20).
Front Row: Paul Monson (Sacred Heart Seminary and School of Theology), Rebecca Esterson (Graduate Theological Union), *Rolf A. Jacobson (Luther Seminary), *Bar J. McClure (Brite Divinity School at TCU), Daniel Orlando Álvarez (Pentecostal Theological Seminary).
Second Row: Joseph Gordon (Johnson University), Sunggu Yang (George Fox University), Emily Peck-McClain (Wesley Theological Seminary), Ashley Hicks White (Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary), Timone Davis (Loyola University Chicago), Christine J. Hong (Columbia Theological Seminary), Helen Kim (Candler School of Theology – Emory University).
Back Row: *Paul O. Myhre (Wabash Center), Scott Hagley (Pittsburgh Theological Seminary), Jennifer Awes-Freeman (United Theological Seminary of Twin Cities), *Andrea C. White (Union Theological Seminary, NY), *Eduardo C. Fernández (Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University), Jeney Park-Hearn (Seattle University).
- First session:
July 9-14, 2018, Wabash College
- Second session:
January 24-27, 2019, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Third session:
June 17-22, 2019, Wabash College
- Rolf A. Jacobson, Director, Luther Seminary
- Barbara J. McClure, Brite Divinity School
- Andrea C. White, Union Theological Seminary-NYC
- Eduardo C. Fernandez, Jesuit School of Theology, Santa Clara University
- Paul O. Myhre, Associate Director, Wabash Center
- Travel and Accommodations for Summer Sessions at the Wabash Center
- Travel and Accommodations for Winter Sessions in Texas
- Philosophy of Workshops
- Policy on Participation
- Map of Wabash College Campus
- Travel Reimbursement Form
- Things To Do In Crawfordsville – Recreation
- Foreign National Information Form
- Payment of Honorarium
- Fellowship Program
For More Information, Please Contact:
Paul Myhre, Associate Director
301 West Wabash Ave.
Crawfordsville, IN 47933