2006 Educating Clergy Conferences
In the winter and spring of 2006, the Wabash Center sponsored a series of six conferences to gather representatives from nearly 60 theological schools for several days of presentations and peer-to-peer conversations about the findings of two recently published studies:
- Educating Clergy: Teaching Practices and Pastoral Imagination, by Charles Foster, Lisa Dahill, Larry Golemon and Barbara Tolentino (Jossey-Bass, 2005), sponsored by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
- Signs of the Times: Present and Future Theological Faculty, by Barbara Wheeler, Sharon Miller. and Katarina Schuth (Auburn Center for the Study of Theological Education, 2005)
The purpose of the conferences was two-fold:
- To review findings and explore implications from the two studies
- To develop strategies for strengthening educational programs and faculty teaching practices
The conference developed strategies to strengthening educational programs and faculty teaching practices in the education of clergy, rabbis, and other ministry professionals.
Leadership for each conference was provided by the directors of the two studies:
- Barbara Wheeler and Sharon Miller, Center for the Study of Theological Education, Auburn Theological Seminary
- Charles Foster, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
Each participating school was eligible for a follow-up grant of $2000 to share and apply learnings from the Auburn and Carnegie research projects on their own campuses in ways that would enhance the preparation of clergy.